MilSimEmpire.com Default Font Increase Font Increase Font

All times are UTC - 5 hours  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Share Topic:
 Post subject: paintball equipment, whole kit, NEED HEEEEEEEEELP!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:09 pm 
E-1 Private

hi all there,

i am on to choose my first paintball kit, and i have to say i got REALLY confused. I believe that paintball marker selection, is more difficult even than a hunting shotgun... Plz spend some of your time to help me.

Mask: all the masks i have used in the fields, constrain the peripheral vision from about 170 degrees without the mask to 120 degrees with the mask on. they also tend to fog from the evaporated sweat. I need a mask witch protects my face and forehead, has BROAD lens, and does not fog. budget: Up to 120 USD or 100 euros

Marker: I play in military operation simulation game and i'd prefer to buy a replica or mil/sim gun. After many hours of searching, i ended up to the Smart Parts SP8 (you can see its specifications here: http://www.smartparts.com/#/sp-8/specs_&_features/ ). the only think that makes me think it twice, is that it is too heavy (4.4 lbs) in comparison with other markers, which weight less than the half. i also like the m16 replicas. I want my marker to be lightweight, and not too long..

Barrel: does barrel length effect accuracy and range of a marker, as in the firearms? do i need a long barrel to be accurate? what's the difference between straight port-hole lines and spiral port-hole lines? should i choose a smooth barrel, or a rifled one? I want it to be as silent as it gets, accurate and with good range.

paintball diameter: should i use big, medium or small diameter balls?

Gas tank: what gas is more proper to use? CO2 is the most common solution, but it tends to freeze the barrels if you shoot very quickly or for a long time. But CO2 tanks have the advantage of being too cheap in comparison with the atmospheric air tanks.

Feeder: I like the feeders that are placed on the side or below the marker, not on the top of it, and have an electronic system to propel the balls into the barrel. here is a marker like the one i have in my mind: http://www.pbreview.com/productpics/?pr ... hoto=13403

trigger: electrical, mechanical, electromechanical, pneumatic, i have no idea

i've also heard that it's better to use barrels that are slightly wider than the paintball (just an idea), so paintballs do not break inside the barrel. is this right, or i will just lose accuracy and range?

help me outta this situation, and you 'll have a good friend from greece!

angelo :?

Post subject: Re: paintball equipment, whole kit, NEED HEEEEEEEEELP!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:01 pm 
Colonel

manipulator wrote:
hi all there,

i am on to choose my first paintball kit, and i have to say i got REALLY confused. I believe that paintball marker selection, is more difficult even than a hunting shotgun... Plz spend some of your time to help me.

Mask: all the masks i have used in the fields, constrain the peripheral vision from about 170 degrees without the mask to 120 degrees with the mask on. they also tend to fog from the evaporated sweat. I need a mask witch protects my face and forehead, has BROAD lens, and does not fog. budget: Up to 120 USD or 100 euros

Marker: I play in military operation simulation game and i'd prefer to buy a replica or mil/sim gun. After many hours of searching, i ended up to the Smart Parts SP8 (you can see its specifications here: http://www.smartparts.com/#/sp-8/specs_&_features/ ). the only think that makes me think it twice, is that it is too heavy (4.4 lbs) in comparison with other markers, which weight less than the half. i also like the m16 replicas. I want my marker to be lightweight, and not too long..

Barrel: does barrel length effect accuracy and range of a marker, as in the firearms? do i need a long barrel to be accurate? what's the difference between straight port-hole lines and spiral port-hole lines? should i choose a smooth barrel, or a rifled one? I want it to be as silent as it gets, accurate and with good range.

Gas tank: what gas is more proper to use? CO2 is the most common solution, but it tends to freeze the barrels if you shoot very quickly or for a long time. But CO2 tanks have the advantage of being too cheap in comparison with the atmospheric air tanks.

Feeder: I like the feeders that are placed on the side or below the marker, not on the top of it, and have an electronic system to propel the balls into the barrel. here is a marker like the one i have in my mind: http://www.pbreview.com/productpics/?pr ... hoto=13403

i've also heard that it's better to use barrels that are slightly wider than the paintball (just an idea), so paintballs do not break inside the barrel. is this right, or i will just lose accuracy and range?

I think the VForce shield is a great mask for the money. It has a wrap around lens giving you 180 degree view and doesn't fog easy. It costs around $40.00US

As far as markers, if you want it to be light weight and still look real, check out the BT-TM7. If your going for the M16 look I would check out Milsig K's. These are 2 markers that I have and really like.There are allot of great markers and i'm sure that our members will list off their favorites for you.

Barrels, in paintball long barrels are for show. The longest barrels I own are 12 inch. Having a longer barrel doesn't improve anything. The only thing that changes with the length of a barrel is the report volume level. The shorter the barrel the louder it is. My favorite bore sized barrel is a .688. This bore size seems to be an all around good size for most paints. But if you want your barrel to be quiet, you will want to get a ported barrel. The more ports it has the quieter the barrel will be. I like J&J barrels.

Paintball sizes, the biggest contributor to your accuracy will be paint-to-barrel match. Buy the paint that is closest to the size of your barrel, or a little bigger. I like the paint to get a little squeeze on the way out..seems to help allot.

Air or Co2. If you can, I would go with HPA(high pressure air) over Co2. It is a lot more consistent, and once you have the equipment, allot easier and cheaper to fill.

Hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:18 pm 
E-7 SFC

Quote:
hi all there,

i would agree with that

really any of the vforce goggles are good. personally i have a profiler mask and it is amazing

honestly, if this is your first paintball gun, i would go with a tippmann alpha black. it gives you the m16 look and is a VERY reliable marker. the sp1 is a very good marker as well but it may be a bit difficult for you because it is an electric marker

a simple quiet barrel that is accurate is a J&J ceramic. cheap, quiet, and accurate.

the paintball you should use is the paintball that fits your barrel. what i mean by that is when you put a paintball in the barrel it should get stuck, but should be easily blown out. that is a perfect paint to barrel match.

it depends on your climate. CO2 performs poorly in the cold but it will be fine in the heat. go with HPA (high pressured air) if the field you play with at offers it and is cheap

that would be a qloader. i would say that is too complicated for you. get that later in your paintball life. if you are getting a tippmann product you could get a "cyclone" which puts the paintball loader on the side of the marker. the only options that move the hopper out of your way is the qloader, cyclone, or mag fed. the only option for mag fed is to buy a MILSIG K-series marker. they are awesome.

if you are just starting just get a mechanical marker. if later in your paintball life you want higher rates of fire you can upgrade your marker. but for now, mechanical is all you need.

see my above post.

angelo

there ya go.
my comments are in blue.

thanks!
jared

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:10 am 
E-2  PFC

your best bet for a mask is to try them on, go to your local store and try them on see what you like and ask questions.

as far as a marker check out http://www.btpaintball.com/ they have great guns like the bt-4 and the amazing tm7 and the rip clip offsets the hoppers and drops it down but once again go to a store and ask questions and check out as many web sites as you can before getting anything, dont want to make a mistake and not be happy with hundreds of dollars invested

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:20 am 
WO 1

Buying your first set up is not an end. It is the beginning of a long journey. Don't worry too much if you get it wrong. You have a pretty good grasp of what you want. But only playing a lot and trying out different things is going to tell you what you really want. And as you develop your skills, your wants will change. Make your best guess, live with it, learn from it, and move on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:25 am 
Warrant Officer

Doug is right, you can only know what you want after playing several times and trying out different things in order to find your preference. I've been playing paintball for about 3 years only and got serious about it this year. But for the past two years, i've been trying different markers and gear and when i decided to get serious and buying my own gear, i've had ideas of what i wanted.

"The test of success is not what you do when your on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - [General George S. Patton, Jr]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:23 pm 
E-6 SSG

manipulator wrote:
hi all there,

I got to see the New DYE I4 and its a nice mask, very low profile, sits close to your face, wide degree of visibility and a thermal lens. Your Best option would be to go to a paintball shop and try on several kinds. Make sure you get some with a Thermal Lens (anti-fog products don't work) and a fan for the mask may be needed if your in a high humidity area.

MILSIG, magazine fed gun, 18 paintballs per mag but its a little heavy.
Alpha Black Tactical is a Tippmann 98C in a MilSim body, a bit heavier than others but a good starter.
BT TM7, an electronic gun, (Mini) in a MilSim Body.

Barrels longer than 16" are just for looks, usually 12" or 14" barrels are used, porting does not make much of a difference. Spiral Rifling does not have an effect on a paintball since the inside is a liquid. Straight Rifling, in my experience helps a bit since it keeps the paintball from spinning inside the barrel. Paintball's are not perfectly round so no spin out of the barrel helps keep them on target (my experience with them). A good barrel is a barrel kit so you can change the bore size to best match the paintball for best accuracy. If you can't afford a Barrel kit, the Palmers Brass Barrel and its unique bore that will fit and accurately shoot differently sized paintballs is the next best thing.

A paintball to barrel match will give the best accuracy. Accuracy comes from a good paintball and a good paintball to barrel match to where the paintball can be easily blown out of the barrel but not roll out or get stuck.

Co2 is great, I use it all the time. Its affordable, gives more shots when comparing volume of tanks to HPA tanks, and is safer than HPA. You will only freeze the barrel if your playing in cold weather, using Co2, and shooting at high rate of fire (15BPS+) continuously. During the summer, its not too likely to freeze your barrel (I should know as I normally shoot up to 22BPS, and 2000 paintballs in an hour).
A negative to Co2 is that its affected by outside temperatures and does not perform too well in the Winter. A way to get good performance out of Co2 in the winter is to convert the gun to operate on liquid Co2. With Liquid Co2, the colder it is, the better the performance.

HPA is high pressure air. Its expensive for the tanks but one big advantage is that its not affected by temperatures like Co2 is. In order to get more shots, a big HPA tank is needed compared to a small HPA tank. Here is a general rule for shots per tank:

10 shots per CI at 3000PSI
15 shots per CI at 4500PSI

50 shots per oz of Co2 on a 75* day.

One thing I should say is that you can not use Co2 on a gun that is electronic like the TM7 as it will damage the internals.

The Q-Loader like you pictured, people have mixed opinions on it but it is said then it work when it works and when it does not, your in trouble. Its picky on paintballs and weather but can provide high rates of feed mechanically. If you get a Tippmann, you can put a cyclone feed on it and a Tac Cap (low profile, low capacity, nice hopper). Though not as nice, the Warp feed is an electronic way of not having a hopper on top but instead moves it to the side.

Mechanical will be the most reliable.

A paintball to barrel match is ideal.

Last edited by Orpackrat on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48 pm 
Colonel

...damn i couldn´t get a reply sooner cause i was at work... but it seems like you guys got it pretty much covered...

i´d just like to add that there is a LOT OF INFO in these forums that you can and should check, be it about gear or maintenance or whatever... Hope you enjoy your stay ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:07 pm 
E-7 SFC

now packrat WHY did you use that green?!?!
haha its hurts my eyes!!!!

paintball is a trial and error process.
you have to work to find the best marker for you.

thanks!
jared

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:06 pm 
Warrant Officer

OMG! Orpackrat, that green is too bright! Trying to read it is going to be difficult without ruining your eyes, haha...

Btw I've always wanted to ask this but never seemed to remember, does bore size matching the barrel really matter? I can only use the paint provided in the fields I go to and i use the stock barrel of my marker, is it sufficient or should i ask their paints size and match it with a new barrel? Just wanted to ask this since angelo (manipulator) is also asking about it

"The test of success is not what you do when your on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - [General George S. Patton, Jr]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:33 pm 
E-6 SSG

I thought that green was darker, its fixed now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 pm 
E-8 1SG

get a freak or python barrel kit

http://www.pythonpaintball.com/index.ph ... oducts_all

http://www.punisherspb.com/freak-barrel-kits_2255.aspx

the q loader is heavy and I didnt like it personaly and sold the one I had shortly after I got it. 6 pods wieghed almost as much as 10-12 regular pods, and 1 of them didnt want to unload properly and would jam constantly.

the warp feed is a much better choise
http://www.airgundesignsusa.com/warp_feed.shtml

http://www.ironmikesmx.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:59 am 
E-7 SFC

paint to barrel is VERY crucial to accuracy.
thats why there are kits out there.
so you can use the correct back for the correctly sized paint.

thanks!
jared

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:38 pm 
E-1 Private

first of all, i wanna thank you for your time and responses. now, i came up with some more questions:

1) what is the point of taking a whole set of barrels? i mean that all the barrels of the set have the same bore diameter, the only that changes is the length. isn't it so?

2) is it better to use big-diameter barrels, and so bigger balls, or should i buy a small-diameter with smaller balls?

3) ceramic barrels, are made from ceramic materials and so they are rust-resistant and minimum affected by temperature variations, or the terms "ceramic" is just a name?

4) plz don't forget to mention the weight of any marker that you suggest (if you know it), or give me exact hyperlinks with all the specifications of the marker (if possible)

thanx again,

angelo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:49 pm 
Colonel

1) what is the point of taking a whole set of barrels? i mean that all the barrels of the set have the same bore diameter, the only that changes is the length. isn't it so?

Nope bro... a barrel set or kit as they are called is usually like this:

one or more fronts(diferent lenghts, same bore) + one or more backs(diferent bores)
or
one or more fronts(diferent lenghts, same bore) + one back + one or more inserts(diferent bores)

2) is it better to use big-diameter barrels, and so bigger balls, or should i buy a small-diameter with smaller balls?

IMO either way works, as long as you get the paint to match the bore of the barrel it should fly straight ;)

3) ceramic barrels, are made from ceramic materials and so they are rust-resistant and minimum affected by temperature variations, or the terms "ceramic" is just a name?

I think they are just coated, allowing for less friction between the paintball and the barrel, could be wrong tho...

4) plz don't forget to mention the weight of any marker that you suggest (if you know it), or give me exact hyperlinks with all the specifications of the marker (if possible)

Some one may have suggested the TM7 and it´s pretty light, can´t say how much it weights but its light! And small!;)