MilSimEmpire.com Default Font Increase Font Increase Font

All times are UTC - 5 hours  

Post subject: The TackHammer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:19 pm 
E-7 SFC

Ok guys, its not Milsim at all, but since this is what we have as a gallery, here it is...

This is the new rig in action at the On Target Paintball "Mercenaries Unleashed" BYOP Scenario. Dual SP1's with firestorm cranks, custom milled aluminum brackets and crank connecting rod by yours truly. Hoppers are Kingman Fastas, will be upgrading to 400 round Pinnokios as soon as the holidays are over and the budget permits.

Right now besides the camo paint scheme everything is stock, planned upgrades include Lapco Apex-Ready barrels, Pinnokio 400 round hoppers, Deadlywind Hollowpoint bolts, and Blackheart boards. Right now I'm running 14 x 140 round pods, 2 x 88ci 4500 psi tanks linked into one remote, will probably be going to dual remotes hooked straight to the regs because I was getting some shootdown when really ripping on em. All in all though, a very successful first day with it, 6+ cases shot and not a single chop, although a barrel break here and there. I'll try and get you guys some pics of the bracketry and closer shots of the rig itself, but it may be a while since a digi-cam is my intended Xmas present to myself this year.

Its pretty funny since the last time I was out I played with just my Tac-8 and then this time around I show up with this lol.

Just wanted to extend a big thanks to John at UO for getting me the 2nd SP1+Fasta in time for me to throw this thing together for this game. I had 6 cases of aging leftover paint sitting in my basement that I wanted GONE and this got the job done.

Post subject: Re: The TackHammer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:05 pm 
Generals

I will say it looks like allot of fun. I mean firepower always = fun. That kind of setup is something i'd like to put in the turret of an APC or something, a great anti personnel system.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:02 am 
E-7 SFC

I think it's cool, Milsim or not. Plus, named markers instantly get a +5 to coolness. :lol: We like videos, too if you please. :)

"I am the greatest that humanity has to offer, and the lowest." - Fatman
Gix's SO wrote:
Don't explode the Internet!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:01 am 
E-7 SFC

really?
six cases of paint?!?!
hahaha nice though!
i just got the vibe and i LOVE IT!
its a great little marker and its perfect for the quiet little hunting gun i had in mind.

thanks!
jared

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:54 am 
E-7 SFC

Hehehe yep, 6 cases... well, maybe more like 6.5 ish... Since it was a BYOP game the day only cost me about $60 out of pocket, so I'll take it. This rig isn't something I plan to use often (I like having money in savings lol), and most of the time I'm playing at Cousins with a lot of young, new players and wouldn't want to scare them out of the sport by whacking them with something like this in a small-scale game. But since this was a game full of experienced players (there were virtually no walk-ons, it was all pre-regged) with their own gear and a lot more firepower than your rental-toting newb, I decided to bring it out. I feel it really made a difference for my side, there were several times where the cover fire this thing provided allowed guys on my side to get out from cover and advance, and I led two or three breakouts from our territory when the OpFor had pushed us back. Not saying that it couldn't have been done without the double guns, but it sure made it easier.

At one point there were only about 6-10 players who were live around our HQ, with about 30 waiting to spawn with 5 minutes to go, and the opposing side was pushing hard. I hunkered down in a pillbox type sandbag setup (two sides, each with very narrow horizontal slits for windows) stuck the two barrels in the window, yelled to the other guys around me with less paint and firepower to save it until someone got close enough to them, and every time the OpFor came down the trail I'd open up with the crank. One or two guys out of each wave made it through and were picked off by the others but we held off at least 30 for that 5 minutes until the spawn came and we were relieved.

Weighing the pros and cons-

Pros- A LOT of balls in the air, very quickly, in a wide area. Long-term (over 20 seconds) suppressive ability. Knowing this thing was backing them up was a big morale boost to teammates on big charges, and the psychological effect on the opposing side of a hailstorm of paint coming out of the woods at them was immense. Was great for clearing soft cover, with so many balls in the air, eventually, they'd break through even the densest brush.

Cons- Weight, obviously... 14 x 140 round pods and two big air tanks is by no means comparable to carrying down pillows across the field, and it also means you're a much larger target. Mobility is severely reduced. If my teammates got shot out in front of me, and I wound up the lead guy, I was out pretty quickly thereafter. Even with all that firepower, its impossible to stand alone for very long without cover, and even then, your ability to shift around in a bunker is minimal. Snapshooting with the weight and size of the rig is almost impossible. Reloads were difficult because of the bulk (and I have pretty long arms for reaching around myself). Also- I felt as if 460 rounds on the gun wasn't enough. By default, 2000 rounds on ME didn't feel like enough. Would definitely have been nice to have the Pinnokios and another 6 pods or so, or some other way of feeding/carrying more paint at once. Having Apexes would have been a help when trying to shoot from the woods across trails into open areas (this field generates a lot of these situations)... I'd tilt up to arc the shots in and just be whacking away at tree limbs.

Overall, something like this only works as part of a fireteam. Its not a Chuck Norris all by himself behind enemy lines god of paintball kind of rig. But as part of a coordinated effort, it certainly does deal some damage ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:10 am 
Generals

Nice!
James

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:56 am 
E-7 SFC

Wow - that is a setup.
Very nice work!

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:39 pm 
E-2  PFC

thats nuts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:18 pm 
E-6 SSG

Looks more tall than big.

I wish I could afford 6+ cases. I've having a hard time as it is affording my 1 case an hour as it is :cry: .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:33 pm 
WO 1

Tackhammer? More like Sledgehammer. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:42 pm 
Colonel

Mjolnir.... That´s a good name for that beast;)
Great job bro...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:28 pm 
E-6 SSG

Good lookin' setup!!! One more step toward peace through superior firepower.
Impressive...Most impressive.

:rail:

PALE HORSE-THREE

"We are outnumbered, there is only one thing to do. We must attack!"
- Admiral Andrew Cunningham, 11 November 1940.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:52 pm 
E-7 SFC

Doug wrote:
Tackhammer? More like Sledgehammer. :lol:

Meh, as far as the double rigs go, she's actually on the light side. Only 22 bps max ROF and 460 rounds on gun... She'll be a full-fledged sledgehammer once the pinnokios and blackhearts get installed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:14 pm 
Colonel

Hate to be on the business end of those barrels! Nice Job, Rogueshooter 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:32 pm 
E-2  PFC

I am speechless and a bit aroused... :desert:

http://www.X7og.net