MilSimEmpire.com Default Font Increase Font Increase Font

All times are UTC - 5 hours  

Post subject: Got drones chasing you? Here's a fix.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 am 
Generals

So, you've got a problem, eh? You've done or suspected to have done something to acquire the the eye of uncle sugar? Drones buzzing your house late at night and can't sleep? Sucks to be you!
But, all isn't lost.

As the wired.com article shows, low tech ways (in this case grass mats and mud draped over your car), can and often does, still beat out billion dollar tech.

Quote:
The advice comes from a xeroxed printout found in Timbuktu by the Associated Press shortly after Islamist militants fighting the French in Mali vacated the area. Taken from jihadi forums online and adapted, one recommendation for simple drone-proofing was to drape a car carrying militants with carpets so the cameras on a drone, thousands of feet up in the sky, might be fooled.

In the Malian case, fighters were using mats made of woven grass that seemed to let the car blend into the landscape. Or they were smearing their cars in layers of mud so as to actually appear like part of the road. An earlier version of the online anti-drone tips urged followers to tint their vehicle roofs with glass, so the eye in the sky would be tricked.

Full article here:
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/diy-droneproofing/

EDIT: Since posting this we've found out why Muttly failed in doing his duty as a Daytona Race reporter. It appears, Muttly, in his enthusiasm to bring all of MSEP/WE readers an in-depth race report, was allowed to sit in the National Guard 88 car of Dale Earnhardt Jrs. However, sitting wasn't enough for our dear Muttly... he decided, unwisely, to try and take it for a test drive!
To make a long, sordid story short, Muttly got away, somehow, from track security and went on the lam.
What does this have to do with the story of evading drones, you ask?
Plenty!
It seems Muttly had read the article previous to his daring-do attempts to joy-ride the National Guard Chevy, however, tearing up chunks of asphalt and gluing it to the top of your Prius, it turns out, doesn't work as good for evading drone as one might think. In particular, one shouldn't tear up the parking lot of the Florida Highway Patrol's headquarters (points to muttly for having big brass one's though!).
I have it on good authority, from my source, that the dead giveaway for the drones, was the fact that there was a jumbled, jigsaw-puzzle of a blue an white Handicapped painted asphalt parking spot,moving erratically down I-75.
It's uncertain as yet of Muttly's fate.... we'll keep posted as updates come in.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Post subject: Re: Got drones chasing you? Here's a fix.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 pm 
Colonel

HAHA good one on Muttly WW.

Only thing that has me scared on the drones is there FLIR. However I can see where smearing cold mud on you or your vehicle might keep things cool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 pm 
Generals

yeah, the article discussed that this won't help with FLIR, only for the drones that less sophisticated.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 pm 
Generals

Blankets and mud aren't going to do you any good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 pm 
Colonel

I'm okay! BAWHAHA!!
I was able to evade the drones...I'm not at liberty to discuss how. That was one of the conditions of my release bargain.