All times are UTC - 5 hours  

Post subject: The Legend of Mick Dodge
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:21 pm 
Generals

Anyone seen this show?

Post subject: Re: The Legend of Mick Dodge
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:29 pm 
Generals

I caught the first one, but haven't watched any since.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:34 pm 
Colonel

I have watched every episode so far. I have never seen a woodsman/comedian mix before. Some of the stuff he says and does is funny.

Some of the stuff he has on the show is somewhat educational. Other stuff seems to be more scripted.

They got cool names for each other. "Will of stone" is my favorite name. "Moss hopper" ain't bad. And "mick Dodge" is pretty cool also hehe.

Weather or not some of it is fictional it's still a pretty entertaining show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:32 pm 
Colonel

I enjoyed the few episodes i've seen. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 pm 
Generals

Whats with always running around in bare feet? I got the being in touch with the earth thing but i think thats just asking for an injury you cant afford in the wilderness.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:31 am 
Generals

That other dude does that too on... what's it called Dual Survival?

I went barefoot alot as a child outside, just cause.
Sure, it can be done providing the footpad has built up enough callouses, but it just takes one sharp rock or stick to ruin your day. And in a "survival" situation where you have the choice to wear footwear or not, it's beyond silly to not. It slows you down, increases the risk of infection and injury, where both can be deadly in a true life and death situations.
Even the natives wore Moc's when they could.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:36 am 
Colonel

By going barefoot it slows you down but it also makes you more aware of your surroundings. I'm not opposed to barefoot in the woods but it would all depend on the scenario you are in. If you were in a hurry I would suggest some sort of footwear. If your not in a hurry I would say barefoot would be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:42 am 
Generals

Slick wrote:
By going barefoot it slows you down but it also makes you more aware of your surroundings. I'm not opposed to barefoot in the woods but it would all depend on the scenario you are in. If you were in a hurry I would suggest some sort of footwear. If your not in a hurry I would say barefoot would be fine.

Obviously I was referring to normal humans.... you hobbit folk are used to going barefoot!

:lol:

μολων λαβε

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:06 pm 
Generals

Yea i do get the whole thing about slowing down being aware and i dont pretend to know what this guy knows, it just seems an unnecessary risk, ancient man developed foot wear for a good reason. I like Less Strouds approach to survival. He's all about the risk reward and always playing the numbers in your favor. Its possible he does the barefoot thing too, although i can't remember seeing him do it on purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:24 pm 
Colonel

Wes has not gone barefoot. I have seen 99% of his episodes.

Cody lundeen goes barefoot 99% of the time. The only time I have seen him wear anything on his feet was when he was walking in snow and he just wore socks. Cody has been barefoot for 20+ years so I'm sure the bottom of his feet are like leather.

Mick dodge seems to be about 50% barefoot. I think it all depends on the terrain he is in.

Bear grills to my knowledge has never been barefoot.

Out of all the survivor shows I like Wes the best. I think he brings a lot of knowledge to the table. On top of that he is alone with no film crew.

I would have to give Cody an edge for fire making skills. He is by far the best fire starter I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:24 pm 
Generals

Cody was the guy on that dual survival show? His partner was a retired ranger I think, that guy thought cody was insane for walking around in bare feet on the first episode. I am firmly in the foot wear camp.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:46 am 
Generals

Dave Canterbury was fired for embellishing his military record. According to this site; http://slumz.boxden.com/f218/dual-survival-dave-canterbury-fired-1863813/, he had lied about being a Ranger, Airborne and a host of other things.

Too bad, I liked his approach on things, but if true that he lied about that, then he deserves that and more.

μολων λαβε

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:22 pm 
Colonel

Dave did lie. Discovery found out about it at the end of season 1 but they were on a 2 year contract so discovery finished out the contract with Dave and never renewed it. Dave released a YouTube video shortly after that apologizing for what he had done and explained why he did it. If I can find the video I will post it up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:24 pm 
Generals

Well since we've been discussing Dual Survivor, Cody Lundin has been fired from Discovery too. He released a statement saying he had been fired over a safety dispute with Discovery.

Hmm, that sounds odd.

μολων λαβε

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:40 pm 
Colonel

Windwalker wrote:
Well since we've been discussing Dual Survivor, Cody Lundin has been fired from Discovery too. He released a statement saying he had been fired over a safety dispute with Discovery.

Hmm, that sounds odd.

Bummer!! I didn't mind cody lundin. I tried to find what the disputes were about but nothing goes into any detail besides health and safety disputes. Cody always took a safe approach besides wearing shorts and socks in cold climates. Here is what Cody's Facebook page said:

Dear Campers,
Unfortunately, I have been fired by Discovery Channel for differences over safety and health concerns on the show and will no longer be a part of Dual Survival.

Although I’ll miss elements of the show, what I’ll miss the most are my fans and the opportunity to teach - on a global level – life saving skills, indigenous culture, and values of integrity and respect toward our natural world.

I have received numerous letters from viewers. Many are from kids, or their parents or grandparents, describing in detail how the show has changed their lives. It has brought families together, inspired kids to go outdoors, and motivated moms and dads around the world to take that family camping trip, many for the first time. If I can use a TV show to encourage people to turn off TV and turn on nature, I have done my job.

Thank you all very much for your support over the years. Be safe and prepared, and maybe I’ll train with you in the woods some day!

Stay classy,
Cody Lundin