MilSimEmpire.com Default Font Increase Font Increase Font

All times are UTC - 5 hours  

Post subject: Cleaning brass
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:43 pm 
Colonel

I cleaned up some brass tonight using a recipe I got off from the internet. I'm new to cleaning brass so any advice I can get would be great. I don't think they turned out too bad for a home made cleaning solution.

1 quart hot water
1cup vinegar
1 tablespoon dish soap
1 tablespoon salt

I soaked the brass for about 45 minutes stirring every 5 minutes. After that I rinsed the brass and baked them in the oven at 170°F for 30 minutes.

If anyone has a better recipe feel free to post it up along with any comments you may have.

I think they turned out fairly good. There is a little bit of residu at the base of the brass but nothing major.

Below are progress pics:

Before

Before

After

Post subject: Re: Cleaning brass
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:25 am 
Generals

I've done that one, the phosphoric acid and the Lemi-shine version. The lemi-shine works a lot quicker with less prep, results are about the same.

Lemi-shine is a detergent additive for your dishwasher and it's almost all citric acid, which is what works to clean the crud out of and off the brass. Hot ( boiling works quicker)water, a little lemi-shine and about 10-15 minutes and you're done. The lemi-shine is supposed to react with the brass to form a protective coating which prevents tarnishing (as much) in the future.

These methods work on all but the cruddiest range brass, the blackest ones you will still have to polish some by hand or use a tumbler.

Here's a 32 page discussion on using Citric Acid (lemi-shine) on brass vs. other methods:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?83572-Citric-acid-brass-cleaner

BTW, your brass turned out good! Nothing like having nice, clean brass to reload with. :thumbsup:

Dang if some of that brass don't look like .45acp!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε