MilSimEmpire.com Default Font Increase Font Increase Font

All times are UTC - 5 hours  

Post subject: What options are there to cable tv?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 am 
Generals

ok, I am a dinosaur... I freely admit it. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to the tech that's out there these days. Folks talk about their smart phones, tablets, do-dads and gadgets and usually I only have a passing understanding of what they're talking about.

So, to the point of the post: I am sick of my cable. The service sucks, the channels suck and the price is outrageous.

What is available out there these days? How does hulu and netflix work? What satellite companies are best?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Post subject: Re: What options are there to cable tv?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:30 pm 
Colonel

unfortunately all cable/satellite providers will gouge you. This probably wont change until one of them steps up to the plate and offers ala carte (I think I spelled that right).

We dropped our cable 2 to 3 years back due to pricing and the economy. I was not a happy camper when we did, but now I honestly don't miss it much. The last time I checked on pricing Dish Network had the best deals, but with all the companies out there your prolly going to pay more for the channels you want to watch. Normally there tier 1 package has all the crappy channels that no body wants but hey, for an extra 15 dollars a month you can get the tier 2 channels! You might watch 1 or 2 of those but hold on a minute, for another 15 dollars a month we will also include all of the tier 3 channels, which are the most popular ones! This is how it was the last time I did price checking on cable and satellite. Things may have changed, but I would be shocked if they have changed much.

All of them have deals when you first sign up. Most will get you locked in to a half way decent price for 12 months with a 24 month contract. So be prepared to get gouged on the second half of your contract.

What we have done at my house is went with Netflix. They have some decent movies and shows that will keep you busy for a while. But eventually you will run out of new material to watch.

We have also breathed some new life into our old DVD and bluray movies by joining VUDU. First off let me say Wal Mart owns VUDU so I don't think they are going anywhere. With VUDU you can rent movies or TV shows, purchase movies or TV shows, and transfer your old DVD or blurays to your vudu account. Basically you take your DVD or blu ray movies to wal mart and you can transfer them digitally to your vudu account, so no more fiddling with your old discs. Its all digital, in the "clouds". They do charge a small fee for transferring your movies.

Transfer fee:

DVD to standard definition = 2 dollars
DVD to hi definition = 5 dollars
blu ray to hi definition = 2 dollars

Those prices are per disc and they shouldn't charge you sales tax either as you already paid for that when you originally bought the movie.
If you have a scratched up disc that wont play it doesn't matter, you can still have them transferred. VUDU calls it there "Disc to Digital" program. They are also working on a program where you can do this at home without going to wal mart and doing it. I'm one of there beta testers for it. Once the software is released you simply put the DVD in your computer drive, fire up VUDU's software and wallah, yer done.

Another nice thing about VUDU is you can stream your movies anywhere on your computer, laptop, smartphone, or tablet as long as you have internet access or 3G/4G. This works out well when traveling because you can bring your movie library with you wherever you go.

Enough on my VUDU sales pitch, if your interested check it out at http://www.vudu.com

Another free option is crackle. Most of your newer Blu ray players that you hook up to the internet have crackle (and VUDU and netflix) apps built into them. Crackle is 100% free however every 15 to 20 minutes they show some advertising. Your movie pauses, they show a commercial, then your movie resumes. They have a decent movie selection, but not as good as netflix in my opinion.

What I do with the TV series that I watch (TWD, gold rush, ax men) is I purchase the series on amazon and watch it over my blue ray player. They charge 1.99 per episode in standard def or 2.99 in hi def. You also will get a better deal if you purchase the whole series at once.

With doing VUDU, Netflix and paying amazon for my TV series it is still cheaper then going with my old cable company which was charging us about 100 dollars a month to watch the shows I'm into. On top of that contracts suck, I don't like them and I do not have a crystal ball in front of me. What I may be able to afford today I might not be able to afford tomorrow.

Any questions feel free to ask.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:37 pm 
Generals

good info and great reply Slick! Give me time to digest and check out vudu some...

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:05 pm 
Lieutenants

You can come back to good ole antenna TV. I am unwilling to pay for television. On the old standard antenna I get around 20 to 25 channels. The newer, smaller antennas are suppose to be better. I have one I got for grandma but havent put it up yet. Since she lives two hundered yards away we can see if they are better.

We have the big four networks plus their sub channels, assorted local channels and then six PBS channels. And we watch the hades out of PBS. Downton Abby is far more addictive then one might think.

I buy alot of DVD's and so forth. Any of these series like Walking Dead and SoA I buy the season on DVD or I have a friend that down loads them from net flicks...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:11 pm 
Generals

Antennae would be out for me I'm afraid. Not much signal here in the hills...

I thought antennae went the way of the dodo bird once Digital tv was mandated by our rulers?

μολων λαβε

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 pm 
Lieutenants

The politicians tried to get rid of it but alas, it did not work. We have broadcast digital. Hell there are some still broadcasting in analog. How that is happening I do not know. Small station, of course.

The one real benefit of the recession was people went ape ********* when they tried to do away with broadcast TV. Lots of people couldnt afford to pay for cable and satellite anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 am 
Generals

I watch a fair bit of Neflix myself. However they dont add new content as often as i would like, but they do have some good shows and movies in their catalog. I think i've watched almost all of the documentaries they have. Netflix also has some gems of recent television series like Walking Dead (season 1&2 right now) and one of my favs BattleStar Galactica (new and old series). A great advantage of the new smart TV's is that they come will Netflix, hulu, Amazon etc. You have to pay to use those apps but they are there and you just have to make a profile and start using the service.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm 
Colonel

Cable all the way! I have few perks in life and cable is one of them. I thought NetFlix sucked. Sorry....just being honest.