MilSimEmpire.com Default Font Increase Font Increase Font

All times are UTC - 5 hours  

Post subject: Pentagon plans to replace soldiers with Robots
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:37 am 
Generals

Cue Terminator music

Quote:
Gen. Robert Cone, head of the Army Training and Doctrine Command, made the comment at the Army Aviation symposium on Jan. 15, according to a report in Defense News, a trade publication covering the military. He said that robots would allow for “a smaller, more lethal, deployable and agile force.”

I am torn on this issue. I am all for technological advancements and anything that saves troops lives is always a priority in my book. However, I can see this just being abused and by that I mean, a commander or President would be more willing to use force knowing that there won't be any flag draped coffins coming home and zero letters to write to family members. It removes risk, and humanity from the equation...

It's a bold new world we live in, isn't it? Right now, power source technologies seem to be the limiting factor or we would already be seeing these. Once a battery or power source becomes capable enough to power these, so that they can cut the robots power tethers, then all bets are off.

Lt. Gen. Keith Walker believes Robots in battle won't happen before 2030... that gives us plenty of time to build a "phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range," just in case.

Read more here:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/robots-replace-troops-battlefield-111500084.html

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Post subject: Re: Pentagon plans to replace soldiers with Robots
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:47 pm 
Generals

I think that any future war that we can conceive of right now will still require the same vital component it has always required. Armed men to take and hold ground. Ultimately someone is going to have to go somewhere and kill the other guy. Having robots do the work although life saving is ultimately futile i think. I like this clip to support my argument.

Post subject: Re: Pentagon plans to replace soldiers with Robots
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 pm 
Colonel

We have not fully harnessed AI. Until then we may have robots but they will be controlled by humans in a remote location with a play station remote and a monitor.

I don't see us perfecting AI for another 30 to 40+ years and that may be a good thing.