MilSimEmpire.com Default Font Increase Font Increase Font

All times are UTC - 5 hours  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2 Share Topic:
 Post subject: Re: Wannabe player from Va.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:33 am 
Colonel

Welcome to the place for MilSim Airsoft and Paintball!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 am 
E-5  SGT

I play both milsim paintball and airsoft, even better I am in south central PA, you are probably close enough to make some of the big events.

I currently get more field time with airsoft. The reason for this is, I play with a large, highly organized group that plays on sanctioned fields every weekend. Our last weekend game had 40 to 50 players. In my area, we only play on paintball fields as anywhere else can be if not illegal, no smart. Airsoft replicas are real enough that they need to be treated as what they represent and kept out of the public eye. I find with airsoft, ranges to be better, accuracy is a lot better especially with some modified replicas. In a broad sense a sniper rifle can shoot a bit farther than a regular AEG battle rifle (if your willing to do the upgrades) Ammunition is a heck of a lot cheaper. $17 for 5000-10000 round of .20 gram BB. Our eye protection standards are full seal goggles that meet or exceed ANSI impact ballistic standards. The crowd that airsoft draws is 100% milsim, I see no power rangers sharing the field with me. (sorry for you speed ball players, just not my scene at all) Even if you use 300 round hi cap magazines, a typical game will force magazine changes, so everyone is going to be in tactical gear, communication is key and games tend to be objective based. Part of airsoft is the "fashion show" a lot of players build load out to represent particular units, armies or ears, choice is a big advantage here.

Now, paintball, I came back to paintball a couple of years ago. A lot had changed and milsim/ woodsball was having a renaissance. In a lot of ways you can have a decent milsim paintball game now. The biggest advantage to paintball is you are going to MARK your opponent out, airsoft is all about the honor involved in taking your hits. The approach and attitudes are different between the two styles. Some paintball players that try airsoft have had trouble grasping that currently most airsoft players WILL call their hits (assuming they notice the hit due to gear)

Paintball markers can be bought now (customs, X7, SP8, tac 8, milsig), or in the case of tippmans (98 and A5s) easily modified (opsgear and spec ops) with kits to appear more realistic, again don't display them into the public modified this way. Regardless, a paintball is going to travel pretty much the same distance with similar accuracy so rolls tend to be more standard. Not that you can't take on the roles of a support gunner or sniper (I do) but there will be no range advantage. Paint is running $45- $90 a case for 2000, this is were the saving is for me.

Cost of gear and replicas/ markers is comparable, with airsoft you get what you pay for. You could go buy a cheap replica but it will suck on the field and probably break. I suggest that you spend some time on this forum and figure out what suites you best OR both. Also check out MAAPR http://www.maapr.com/phpbb2 This group will help you find a airsoft group close to you, For paintball just gear up and head out to a paintball field.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:58 am 

Thanks for all the suggestions, still doing my research, and hemming and hawing back and forth.